Yesterday was a long, but productive, day. We made it to Portsmouth on the west side of
the Elizabeth River, across from Norfolk.
The entire day was canals, and cuts in narrow rivers and shallow
sounds. I ran aground (for the second time
in a week) yesterday. I was even
following behind a barge that made it through but, in some areas, the cuts are
very narrow and shoaled into the cut.
Fortunately, the tide was rising and we were off in about 10 minutes. We went through lots of bridges and one
(Great Bridge) lock. The timing all went
pretty well and we got into the Tidewater Marina just after sunset. Today we will have returned home to the Bay.
We are looking forward to sailing again.
The wind today is forecasted to be SW at 10 to 15 so it should be a good
sail. More later. It's 8am and we need to fuel up and head out.
Sea Log of trip from St. Thomas USVI to Baltimore Md from 1/22/2014 to 3/15/2014.
Sunday, March 9, 2014
Saturday, March 8, 2014
OK - now it's "today". It's noon and we are almost half way to our
destination anchorage. We got up this
morning to bright sunshine, winds NW at about 10, and temps around 30. We got
going at 8am sharp for a 52 nm day. We
motored out of the Pantego River and into the (large) Pungo River. It was about 8 miles up to the head where we
left the river into the south end of the Alligator-Pungo cut. This (ICW) cut is almost 20 miles long with
two 5 degree turns near the center. So
it's two very straight 10 mile stretches till you reach the bottom of the
Alligator River. As I type, Ollie has
the "watch" (wheel) and Captain Phil is doing some patch work on the
dinghy. It is nice and sunny. The temp inside the cockpit is around 65 or
70 and below it's about 55 or 60 - a HUGE improvement over the last 3
days. I know, though, that the forecast
for later in the week (up north in the Bay) is for colder temps again.
Rev. 1 - it's 7pm and we just dropped anchor in the North
River on the north side of the Albemarle Sound.
We ended up making good progress all day and reached our previous
destination earlier than expected. So we
decided to keep going. One factor was
that the Albamarle Sound was like glass - making the passage across a piece of
cake. It is notorious for being a real
pain. I've read reports that it is the
most difficult stretch of water between Florida and Maine so we are glad to
have it behind us. So, the plan now is
to make Great Bridge tomorrow and South Norfolk Monday.
Friday, March 7, 2014
It's now 3/8. We were
docked the entire day and I had big plans to tour the town of Belhaven, do lots
of reading, and update the blog. So much
for plans. It rained and the nor-easter
blew through all day yesterday and last night.
We were in a very protected anchorage for the wind direction but we were
still rocking and rolling, heeling sometimes to 15 degrees. It didn't rain the entire day so I was able
to go to the head to use the wifi etc.
Wifi was available on the boat but you had to be in the cockpit and that
was cold. The marina was very small but
was the owners (a husband and wife) were very nice and had the office and small
outbuilding fixed up and decorated very nicely.
The head was set up as a shrine to the owner's uncle who had been in the
Navy in the 1940s. It was decorated with 30 or 30 pieces of memorabilia - really
cool.
We went out to dinner again last night to and, again, the
food was really excellent. As usual,
lights were out by around 9pm.
Thursday, March 6, 2014
Don't ever think the weather can't get any worse. We have "joked" over the last week
that we were heading into the "Polar Vortex" of the mid Atlantic and
Northeast. I know we haven't been having
the record lows of those back home but when you are boating, 20s and 30s can be
a little uncomfortable. So, if that
weren't enough, a big low pressure has developed to our south. Ever feel like you are being squeezed? We
anchored out last night in NE 10 to 15 with temps around 40. Today, we motored out of "Gale
Creek", north into Goose Creek and then into the Pamlico. The further north we got, the windier and
rougher it got. The swells in the
Pamlico River were easily 6'. We had
spray coming over the top of the bimini.
Fortunately, it was only a few miles across to the Pungo River and the
Pintita and her engine (Big Blue) took it all and kept is dry and safe. We pulled into the Belhaven Marina at around
1pm. Our plan is to sit the low pressure
(nor-easter) out until the weather improves (forecast is for Saturday).
Wednesday, March 5, 2014
With bad weather forecasted for today and especially
tomorrow and Friday, Dad decided trying to make it to Norfolk was too
risky. To be on the safe side, he rented
a car in Morehead City this morning and began a 7 hour drive home. We will miss him - especially on "anchor
detail". So now it's down to
Captain Phil, Ollie, and me. We left
Morehead City at around 9am in a light sprinkle and about 40 degrees. We had the current with us motoring up the
Adams Creek canal and were through Adam's Creek and into the Neuse River by
about noon. We were making such good
time, we decided to head up the Neuse and into Bay River. We are now anchored in Gale Creek on the
north side and near the head of Bay River.
The "silver bullet" (generator) has been running for about an
hour, we have transferred fuel from the 150 gallon aux tank to the 55 gallon
main tank. We all are enjoying our
favorite adult beverage and Phil is reading and Ollie is playing with his
phone. The forecast is for NNE 15 to 25 tomorrow so we plan to cross the
Pamlico river and head into the Pungo River.
Near the head of the Pungo is Dowery Creek Marina where we plan to stay
tomorrow night. Tomorrow should only be
a short 30 mile day. We have not had sun
for 3 days now and it has been raining off and on. The wind and rain is supposed to pick up
tomorrow and Friday but the forecast is for sun and warmer temps starting
Saturday. We can't wait.
Tuesday, March 4, 2014
Ever try typing on a keyboard that is 45 degrees? Weighed two anchors with very muddy 150' rodes
this morning at 7:30am - on an icy deck.
What a mess. Underway now, headed
north. Just passed the dreaded inlet where Pintita ran aground on the way south
(green 61a). The buoy has since been
moved from the east side of the ICW to the west side.
Monday, March 3, 2014
We are underway again.
Left the dock at Masonborro YC at around 8am and stopped for fuel at
Wrightsville Beach. Wrightsville Beach
seems to be a very affluent area with lots of very nice homes and marinas
etc. Our plan is to go just 37 miles
today to a large anchorage just NW of the New River Inlet (south of Moorhead
City by about 40 miles). Last night low
temp was around 50 and it's currently around 55 with SW winds around 15. The wind is supposed to "haul"
around (CW) to the west and then NW and begin blowing this afternoon and
evening. Well, its now 6:30pm and the
wind did haul - and picked up to 15 to 25 from the NW. We dropped the anchor (both of them) at about
5pm and have been running the generator (for heat ever since). The temp has dropped to around 40. It's nice
to be in safe. It is howling outside and
the boat is healing (under bare poles) from side to side. Tomorrow will be a long day to get past
Moorehead City and up to Adams Creek.
From Moorehead City on will be familiar territory for me from my trip
there two years ago.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)